CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

International Day of the Midwife

Today, May 5, is the International Day of the Midwife.

As we honor those who have the calling to help us bring our babies into this world, I want to take a moment and reflect on what they truly do for us.

I have worked with many midwives during my pregnancies. I am honored to know many more that I won't be lucky enough to have as my personal midwife. All of these ladies are very special.

As they run out into the night at a moment's notice to attend a birth, they must make the difficult decision to leave their families. Maybe they have small children of their own, or possibly there was a family celebration planned. They make the sacrifice to set this all aside to ensure that another baby is brought into the world in the gentlest manner possible.

I have studied midwifery myself for a long time. There is a lot to learn. Midwives must learn about everything that can go wrong so they know that what is happening is right. Those who are truly at peace with their calling can attend a birth and know when to sit on their hands and just let things unfold. It is difficult for many to just sit and not do anything, but this skill is invaluable.

At this point I don't know if I will ever be one of these special women... but I certainly know that I will do all that I can to support them and keep them available for birthing women everywhere.

Project Homebirth will show some of these wonderful midwives and you'll be able to hear their voices speak the truth about homebirth.

Join the project.

0 comments: